How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70516
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have supplied and installed a new composite door to a

Customer Question

Hi, we have supplied and installed a new composite door to a customer. The customer has deducted an amount from our invoice, as he claims he had to call a locksmith out, on the third day, as he claims he could not lock the door.
When we ask why he did not contact us in the first instance, he said it was 11pm.
When we inspected the door, the locking operation was perfect, and is just as it was left.
He has now produced a locksmith invoice, which equals the amount deducted from us.
When we asked what the locksmith did, he could not advise.
The locksmiths invoice just shows "call out"
We do not believe the call out was in any relation to defective works on our behalf, but rather that the customer got confused with the new lock, and jammed it up 'operator error' not poor workmanship.
We have done this job for over 20 years and would not have caused this issue.
How would you advise to proceed please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is the disputes sum please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just under £100
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Are you prepared to sue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I think yes, our margins are so tight, this was our profit on the job
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

In that case, just issue at the small claims court.

Send her one letter setting out your claim and demanding payment within a set period of time. Make clear that if you do not receiving money then you will sue. Give her no less than 14 days and preferably 28.

If you do not receiving payment then issue here

It will cost about £25 to issue and you will be able to reclaim that.

Can i clarify anything for you?