How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 33037
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im just trying to find out where we stand with a car issue.

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: im just trying to find out where we stand with a car issue. my sin was selling his car, agreed a price and the buyer handed over a wedge of cash, my son walked about 10 paces to give the money to his girlfriend and the buyer jumped in the car and drove off with the logbook, my sons possesions and he's house keys and the money was £1350 short.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: the police stopped the vehicle and he told them that he had just bought it and they let him go
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: it was a vw gold gti in perfect condition on a 56 plate
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no, he spoke to the police and they said it was a civil matter over the money and I spoke to them to ask about the possesions and the keys and they said that the police should not have let them go
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: my son spoke to them again and they have closed the case
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Firstly it is not just a civil matter. From your description there is either fraud or theft. I would ask that the police reconsider their decision and you may wish to escalate it in this regard. It is very much a criminal matter. As to the money outstanding you can also (and I stress also) bring a small claim action against him for the money due and any losses/damages sustained 0 this can be done at

Happy to discuss but please rate positive. Thanks

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm afraid the answer above is incorrect.

Does he know that he has these items?

It would seem to be potentially an accident.

Have you any means of contacting him?

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that I do not agree with my colleague at all. This is not uncommon with lawyers. It is very clear from what you have stated that the police should reconsider. It is also very clear that he has acted intentionally. It is certainly not an accident. My original comments are as such correct. Happy to discuss further but please rate positive.