How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22620
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am wondering if you can help me with some much needed

Customer Question

Hello, I am wondering if you can help me with some much needed advice. My husband, children and I currently rent a mews cottage of a larger property in which my landlord lives. He has given us a license to occupy rooms instead of a tenancy agreement. We have lived here for a year so far and have had quite a few problems with the property which he insists on fixing himself which means they don't get fixed properly. For example, we have had no hot water for 11 months coming from our taps. He also very high scaffolding erected by himself outside out my front door which is my only door to my property. Lying beside this is buckets of sludge and bits of scaffolding including planks all propped up against the wall which I am terrified will fall and hit my young children. He also has piles of bro***** ***** and furniture and other old rubbish including a cement mixer lying just in front of my house. he has put an old broken table and chairs in front of the entrance way which he refuses to move and says that we should fix. It is rotting away and I am scared my children will get hurt by it. He also has old rusty tools lying on the table all day every day never moved or out away. The last straw was that eh has been fixing his car 5 feet from my front door for 2 weeks and 3 nights ago used a blow torch on it and bl;ew the whole car up. The impact has shattered my bedroom window is was so bad. The burned out car is still in front of my house now 3 days later and is propped up by burned charred wooden pallets which I feel are completely unsafe. This car is ready to fall on top if someone at any moment. Can you please advise if we have any rights here and what they may be. I am looking for somewhere else to live but until i find somewhere we are stuck here. Am I due any compensation against my rent for this? I have served him with a letter listing the problems and stating I would like them remedied immediately as well as assurances he will not be carrying out anymore repairs or work outside my house.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Thank you in advance for your help
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: The car is about 10-15 years old i think, its not new by any means
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: It is now completely burnt out, with 2 wheels off and propped up on an old rusty jack and wooden pallets which are alos completky charred
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. Do you just want to get the car removed? Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is really the first thing I would like sorted however I would like the scaffolding taken down as it is a permanent fixture, been up for a year so far. I also would like the water fixed properly so we have hot water from the kitchen and bathrooms taps. I would like the garden cleaned up with all dangerous and broken stuff removed. Lastly, we have a leak on my daughters ceiling over her bed which only leaks in bad weather and my landlords solution is to nail a plastic box over it to collect the water. I am scared this will fall on her so would also like this fixed and the old rotten n window in the porch where he has stuffed a piece of wood in. This can be removed by any potential burglar and the whole window pane can then be removed. It makes my insurance null and void i think. Thanks again
Expert:  Stuart J replied 11 months ago.

Please confirm that you don’t share any facilities with the landlord.

Why has he given you a licence to occupy rooms instead of a tenancy agreement?

Is the accommodation self-contained?

Have you referred the lack of hot water to the Environmental Health Department at the local authority?

Have you referred the other various hazards?

The car?

You can complain about the lack of hot water general condition and safety of the property to the Environmental Health Department at the local authority. They have the power to make the landlord fix everything.

You can complain about the burnt out car to the local Planning Department who have the power to serve notice on the landlord to move the junk even if the junk is on his own property, if it looks a mess.

You would be entitled to compensation in respect of landlords breach of covenant to repair and in that respect, you might want to see a solicitor because you may be eligible for legal aid.

Do bear in mind, that depending on the terms of your tenancy agreement, if you start to make things difficult for the landlord, he could well give you notice to quit but he would have to give you at least 2 months unless you share any accommodation kitchen bathroom or living accommodation, with him.

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?