UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I have been issued with a single procedure notice with two

Customer Question
Good morning, I have been...
Good morning, I have been issued with a single procedure notice with two charges one speeding 57 in a 50 and the other of failing to provide driver details. The speeding offence, 20/5/16, I have no problem with as only myself and my father drive my car and I was returning from visiting him in hospital that's why I was on that road that day. The charge details that they sent me a speeding NIP on 24/5/16. Since my divorce I have been living back at parents home but I work 400 miles from my home normally week on off. Hower the week of the speeding offence I was on a week holiday due to my father's operation. Consequently I remained home until 30/5/16 returned to work and then home a week later. As of 14/6 when I returned to work I had not received any correspondence regarding any speeding offence. I was then away to work and remained away from home, due to working some overtime until I returned home on night of 13/7 to attend my uncle's funeral on 14/7, driving back up to Aberdeen straight after funeral to work early on 15/7. I then returned home again on 23/7. There was a pile of mail for me to go through and then came across the NIP reminder dated 22/6. I completed the form but I could see was past the ten day reply window. Then next mail I received the single justice procedural notice. I have no problem pleading guilty to the speeding offence, and have not knowing witheld driver details. Should I plead not guilty to the charge of failing to produce details and go to court or plead guilty and provide my mitigating circumstances? I drive about 30000 miles a year to and from work to see my daughters so I don't want to rack up too many points on my licence.
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
7/29/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 1 year ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Did you provide the details of the driver within 28 days?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No as I did not receive any initial NIP. I was home for nearly 3 weeks after date of speeding offence without any correspondence about the speeding offence. Then I was away in Aberdeen with work for nearly 5 weeks. When I returned home I saw the reminder and next day received the SJPN.

No, but the reminder was certainly received?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I received the reminder, dated 22/6 , when I returned after working in Aberdeen for 5 weeks on 23/7.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is why I was considering a guilty plea with my mitigating circumstances

In that case, you don't have a positive defence I'm afraid.

Come what may, the reminder at least was received at your address and you didn't respond. There is case law that says that a person away from home should keep tabs on their post and so the fact that you were away does not assist.

You could always ask the prosecution though to accept a plea to speeding alone. Quite often they will do that. It is rare that they pursue failing to identify if a plea to speeding is being offered.

Obviously you can only do that if you can identify the driver truthfully though.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I was definitely the driver 100%, I was returning from visiting my father in hospital with my mother. If there had been some sort of reference to Cheshire constabulary or even a statement of urgent response required on the reminder envelope then my parents would have contacted me and I would have instructed them to open it. How would I go about asking them to pursue speeding only? By my mitigation or by attending court?

Attending court and make that offer to the prosecutor in person.

Usually they will accept it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the info.

No problem.

All the best.

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister