Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I am at court soon charges. speeding of 35 in a 30mile area

Customer Question

I am at court soon for two charges. speeding of 35 in a 30mile area and failing to disclose. I got a letter in May saying I must attend court as they were considering a ban of my licence as I already had 6 points. I called to say what was this about. I never received the Nip for these at all. I the alleged offence took place November 2015.they said Nip and reminder were sent to me in Jan and Feb 2016. Neither were received. asked for copies but only received email copy of the speeding. I checked my work records and I was actually at work at the alleged time of the offence. No one else was driving my car that was parked at home as I also asked my family. I attended court and explained(1) I never received documents and (2) I was at work. The asked me to swear an oath regarding never received which I did and asked if I was pleading guilty to both and I said No. They said since I say I was at work for the speeding they are happy to drop that charge but will pursue the failing to disclose and set the matter down for trial. the prosecutor said I may as well plead guilty as there is no defence and its a strict liability offence and they don't have to prove anything more than they posted the |nips to the correct address. from the copies they gave me at court the address was correct but I didn't receive it. after the first hearing I wrote to ask for photographic proof that it was in-fact my car. No response has been received. I don't agree that if I have evidence I was at work and there is not evidence it was my car, why I ma still being prosecuted for failing to disclose when there is no evidence an initial offence ever took place. I don't see the justice in in them saying they are willing to drop the speeding since I have proof I was at work but want to pursue the failing to disclose. we do often have issues with our post and I have advised them of this. I would be grateful for your direction.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Hertfordshire
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: cant afford one
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What would you like to know about this please?