How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70289
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and son in law have just recently split. we had

Customer Question

My daughter and son in law have just recently split. we had a family occasion on Saturday which they both attended with their three children, for the sake of the children. the adults left and went to our local club and i stayed behind at my house to watch the children. After several hours of my daughter returned to the house and not long after so did my son in law he was very angry and tried to take the children my daughter tried to stop him and three occasion threw her to the floor, I phoned the police and he left ,I think that is the reason he left. In the heat of the moment shock disbelief etc we gave statements and my son in law was arrested. He admitted three counts of assault against my daughter and has now been bailed. In the cold light of day my daughter now wants to retract her statement this event was out of character and feels that her husband had reached a desperate point knowing he has lost everything and not knowing what else to do. although we are not condoning his actions especially in front of the children, he stands to lose his job which would cause hardship all round. I think it was the actions of a desperate man in desperate circumstances. Your advice would be very much appreciated. Mary
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in the united kingdom
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no this only happened on Saturday 25th June
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm afraid it really doesn't matter whether she retracts or not. If he has admitted the offence it is game over. They will prosecute him with or without her. The only way to avoid that would have been not to call the police although it's not all her fault. He should have made a no comment interview too. I'm very sorry but the damage is done now . Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Although it may make no difference she would still like to retract is this possible and how does she go about doing this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also can he alter his statement
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

She can always tell the police she doesn't want to support a prosecution.

They probably won't take any action here as he admitted it.

She can't change the evidence though or remove it from the Crown.

The only way to have control of these things is not to report them to the police.