How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 9118
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We rent a council flat and it is shared with our daughter, I

Customer Question

we rent a council flat and it is shared with our daughter, I work overseas and my wife lives with me for periods of time. Is that allowed? is there a legal limit of time the council allows the tenant to be away from the property? Our grown daughter lives with her in the flat and the rent is paid on time.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the flat is in London, England
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: no,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: my wife is the tenant, the rent is paid on time and I live outside of England.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife is the tenant of a rented council flat in London, England. I work overseas and she lives with me for periods of time. The flat is also occupied by our grown daughter, the rent is paid on time. Can my wife legally live with me while my daughter shares the flat and pays the rent to the council? is there a legal amount of time the council will allow my wife to live away from the flat e.g 2 moths in the flat 3 months away.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need seem further information first

Is your wife the sole person name don the Tenancy and how old is your daughter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is the sole person,
Our daughter is 42
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Have you moved abroad permanently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ( husband) works abroad, my wife travels with me and we return a couple of times a year, this has been since 10 years approx. Our daughter who has grown up in the flat since she was 3 lives there and pays the rent.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

For clarity - do you eventually intend to return to the Uk to live?

Do you own any property abroad?