Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My partner paid me a cheque for £50k from our house sale (we

Customer Question

My partner paid me a cheque for £50k from our house sale (we are not together anymore) the chequered bounced and I am now sitting £50k in unauthorised overdraft
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No do I need to?
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Ok
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

If this was the sale of a jointly owned house, why did the solicitor not pay the money directly to you?

Do you have the dishonoured cheque?

Does he still have the money or did he cancel the cheque or has he not got the money?

Why do you have an overdraft of £50,000 because of the bounced cheque?

If we could have as much background detail as possible that would be really useful please.