Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I was responsible probate on my dads estate when he died

Customer Question

I was responsible for getting probate on my dads estate when he died suddenly when he was only 50 and I was only 22. The beneficiaries were me and my brother and my dads partner who he had joint name property with. This was four years ago. I have received a letter this week from a solicitor saying my dad had another son ... Which I did not know about.. And his mother is claiming 16000 from me personally as this was owed to her in child support. The letter is a court summons to me only as the intestate administrator . I am shocked as I did not know I had another brother and terrified that I broke some law when I settled the estate. What should I do?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
You will need to get a letter from your accountant explaining the "mess'. That is really the best way to resolve this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I do not understand? which accountant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which part are you referring to as a 'mess' I am really disappointed with this rather unhelpful and blunt response after paying for a response
Sorry I think that there was a glitch.
Does the witness recall when the will was signed and whether there was a solicitor involved
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.Was there actually a Will or did you apply for Letters of Administration?How much was the Estate worth and how much did you each receive.Did you check your father's paperwork yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Claire
There was no Will and in total from his investments and pensions my brother and I received around £30,000 each. The remainder was paid to his common law partner or transferred to her as he had put properties etc in joint names with her
I checked the paperwork as I completed it, I would need to check the value of the estate in total if you needed the total amount
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much was the remainder.Was there any evidence anywhere that he had another child?
You have stated that you are named in the summons. In what capacity are you named. Personally or in a different capacity?