How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70519
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son possibly scrapped a parked car in McDonald's he

Customer Question

My son possibly scrapped a parked car in McDonald's he stopped with his window down waiting for the driver who arrived shouted at him for not stopping and took a picture of his number plate before walking off but not getting into his car. My son waited a while longer for him to return when he didn't he took a picture of number plate and left. My son did nothing more but has now received a police letter saying failure to stop and careless driving. What should he do next.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
When did this happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That is rather unfortunately. I’m afraid that he is guilty. There is no way around it. There was an incident and he didn’t report it. I realise that there may not have been anybody at scene to exchange details with but the law requires you to report to a police station within 24 hours. He did not. It is too late to do it now. If the police have summonsed him in then he will have to go. If he does not they will just summons him to court or possibly arrest him which they could do for failing to stop and report. If he offers a plea to careless driving they may drop the failing to stop and report. Sometimes these things do turn into insurance matters only. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo