How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My estranged wife wants to serve notice on me, changing the

Customer Question

My estranged wife wants to serve notice on me, changing the leasehold of our flat from Joint Tenancy to Tenants in Common. She wants to change the inheritance arrangement in favour of her son. Can she do this without my consent? Does it reduce my right to inherit from her? Should I regard this as hostile?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

The first thing which any solicitor would advise an estranged spouse to do would be to sever the joint tenancy from joint tenants to tenants in common. However, there is nothing whatsoever that you can do about it, you have to accept it. It is not necessarily hostile. It is normal procedure.

It does mean that the house passes in accordance with a deceased spouse is well rather than under the right survivorship where it would pass on the death of one spouse, to the surviving spouse.

If you can give me the full background detail to this please, I can expand by answer for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We probably need to have a more detailed conversation about my case, but I'm having technical problems with JustAnswer because I am signed in to the US version of the website as a professional, and every time I log in I am presented with an obtuse page from where I can only answer questions, not ask them. Can I continue as a different user?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

You have asked for a live telephone call. These are available as a premium service at extra cost lives therefore submitted a proposal in respect of the same. From experience they take about half an hour although the length of time is entirely up to you the amount of information that you need. I would normally need a couple of hours notice although sometimes, I can deal with it at very short notice. Kind regards