Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Is streaming live tv over the Internet legal ? I've read many

Customer Question

Is streaming live tv over the Internet legal ? I've read many things , some say as you're not actually creating a copy of it and just playing a video it's legal ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
is it for your own use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
thank you.You have to have a television licence to equipment if the equipment is actually capable of receiving terrestrial broadcasts. It doesn’t matter whether that facility has been disabled, you still lead a licence. To be honest, it isn’t worth the grief, if you have a television set, of going through the argument.With regard to all the other satellite channels, you can stream them and record them as much as you wish provided it is for your own use.There is already caselaw with regard to the various decoders which are available and the satellite broadcast companies lost. You are able to use these as much as you like. In fact, you were able to use those as much if you like even for public broadcasts in pubs. However, whilst this latter point might seem to be the answer to pubs that want to screen satellite football, it actually doesn’t help them.The reason is that there are successful prosecutions for breach of intellectual property because the broadcasts contain images and logos for which there is no consent to broadcast. Hence, whilst the actual public showing of these programs is not itself problematical, the broadcasting of the logo is.Provided therefore that you are just going to do this yourself from home, there is no problem in doing it provided you have a television licence.Does that answer the question?Can I answer any specific points arising from this?Please do not forget to rate my answer service positively so that I get credit my time today. The threat does not close, it remains open we can still exchange emails if anything else needs clarification. Kind regards.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Can I assist you any further with this today?When you get a moment, could I please trouble you to use the rating service?Unless you rate my answer service positively, I don’t get paid at all.Thank you.Kind regards