How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34233
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been served Papers via recorded delivery to my place

Customer Question

I have been served Papers via recorded delivery to my place of work. Non idea who singed for them. I have been named as a co respondent in a divorce. The petitioner only found out about her husband's affairs as I told her. He had lied to everyone we work with for 3 1/2 years saying he was separted. She also had the names of the other females involved but has only named me a correspondent. We never had sexual intercourse.
I am planning on ignoring the papers as I believe that they should be served on me personally. I live in NI. If I decide to answer it I intend on contesting it and representing myself. Is there anything obvious I am doing wrong?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstAre you still in contact with the Respondent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No when he disclosed he had been living a double life I cut contact with him
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is there any reason why you do not wish to simply defend the claim and deny the allegation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot afford a solicitor which I need to defend the claim by answering the petition and lodging papers in the court. Also I was the one who told her everything and she has now named me without any reason to do so. I don't see why I should respond, she should remove me
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My concern is that if you ignore the paperwork and the husband has acknowledged and admitted the Divorce then it will go ahead and the fact that someone signed for the envelope will be sufficient for your name to be used.To ensure that cannot happen all you need to do is complete the Acknowledgement of Service refuting the allegation - which will mean that your name cannot be usedPlease ask if you need further details