How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 11546
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There i have some convictions on my criminal record that

Customer Question

Hi there i have some convictions on my criminal record that were spent a long time ago but im now applying for permanent residency in Canada and they have appeared on my record but it doesnt say they were spent can i get a lawyer in the uk to look over my charges and write a letter to confirm all charges are now spent
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. Remember that convictions which are spent are only spent within the meaning of UK legislation meaning that you don't have to disclose them when making certain applications, usually for employment, within the UK. That legislation doesn't apply abroad. Foreign immigration authorities have their own rules when deciding whether to grant residency applications, usually that the person is of good character. Good character will be defined in their own rules and regulations. So whilst you can easily get a letter from a UK lawyer to say that your convictions are spent under UK law, it is the law of Canada that will be relevant in determining whether they grant your application or not. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.