How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 9118
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to put a charge on the property where I am owed money

Customer Question

I want to put a charge on the property where I am owed money
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: In 2013 I was told by the owner that I could spend the money on the property after it had a serious fire . I wanted to move myself and my disabled mother and family into the home . The owner agreed to me doing the adjustments to the house to suit her disability . The owner agreed I could do the work and within six months I could purchase the property for £84,000 . I agreed to do this and spent over £30,000 just in the house for my mothers disability as well as getting the rest of the house back into order after the serious fire. I had a phone call three months later from a solicitor telling me that the owner was in fact bankrupt and was unable to sell the house to me. This caused a huge amount of distress to my family and the trustees agreed that I could live in the house and pay rent at £1000 per month .
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I never received an AST they would only give me a license to occupy. Now I have been served with a section 21 five weeks ago. I would like to put a charge on the property for the money that I have spent on the property and I would like to stay in the property continuing to rent it
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Thank you for the question. It is mypleasure to assist you with this today. I need some more information from you please. As this is such a substantial chunk of money thatyou were spending on property, why did you not formalise this at the time?Is the property owner denying that you owe thismoney? Will they agree to let you have charge over the property?Was there ever an agreement for you to be repaid orwas your money simply to be left in the property on the proviso that youcontinued to live in it?I need to know what provision there was for you toget your money out at some stage in the future. As much background detail aspossible is really useful please. Thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. Can we assist you any further with this?