Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I am about applying , but I am not sure

Customer Question

Hi, I am about applying for naturalization, but I am not sure I will meet the requirement for "good character". I have got following terrafic effence:
Date of conviction Date of offence offence code Fine point
22.5.2012 5.4.2012 LC20 £35.00 03
13.8.2012 31.7.2011 CD10 £70.00 00
13.8.2012 31.7.2011 AC10 Driving 05
license
Endorsed
Would you please tell me regarding the "good charecter requirement" which is about A non-custodial sentence and the impact is "Applications will normally be refused if the conviction occurred in the last 3 years" I will be qualified to pass the requirement or Ishould wait 5 years after date of convication?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
What were the offences for exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Failing to give name and address after accident => Driving licence endorsed 5 penalty points => Date of Conviction: 13/8/12=>Date offence: 31/7/11
2) Drive mechanically propelled vehicle without due care and attention ==>Fine £70.00 => Date of Conviction: 13/8/12=>Date offence: 31/7/11
3)Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence ==> 3 penalty point and £35=> Date of Conviction: 22/5/12=>Date offence: 5/4/12
Let me see if I can help. If you have been convicted of an offence in the UK, the length of time you must wait before you can make a naturalisation application is now:Sentence of 4 years or more imprisonment - your application will be refused, regardless of when the conviction occurredBetween 12 months and 4 years imprisonment - your application will be refused unless 15 years have passed since the end of the sentenceUp to 12 months imprisonment in the last 7 years - your application will be refused unless 7 years have passed since the end of the sentenceA non-custodial offence - applications will be refused if the conviction occurred in the last 3 years When considering this requirement the UKBA will look at your application in its totality and will also consider such things as fixed penalty notices. Essentially, depending on how many you have and how recently you have received them, the UKBA might view them as an indication that you are not in fact of good character. From your perspective you have waited more than 3 years since your last driving conviction and as such this should be satisfied. Happy to discuss but please rate positive.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you