How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 32989
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

JA: . How can we be of help? Customer: My partner

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: My partner and I put our house in tennents in common with me owning 1% 6 years ago. We moved 3 months ago and she owns the new house 100%. I'm going bankrupt and was just checking that the only thing they could claim is the 1% of the equity on the previous house sold which would be £750.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Regards
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I have just lost my job and have no assets. Is it best to go bankrupt myself or just let the dept companies do it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.You are correct with your assumption. They can raise a question mark as to the whether the 1% "lost" from the original house to the new house was in fact a transfer for no value or a gift as as such seek (sometimes) to recover that interest. But if you genuinely have no interest in the 99% or indeed the new property then they can not make a charge or recovery against it. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive. Thanks
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you