How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to get a solictors letter sent to someone who

Customer Question

hi I would like to get a solictors letter sent to someone who is slandering my business on social media
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
We are not able to act on this for you but can give you anyadvice that you wish. The days of getting the quick solicitors letter sent outfor 15 or 20 quid have long since gone. The solicitor now has to open the fileand send terms of business and client care letter which runs to about 20 pagesand deal with a whole load of compliance issues so it’s unlikely that you wouldget a solicitor to deal with this for you for under a hundred quid or so.However, if you want to ask is any specific questions aboutthe issue and how to deal with it, there may be other avenues open to youincluding going to the police. Whether the police will be involved would dependon the nature of what’s happening. If you can let us have some furtherinformation, we can expand on this for you. Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi the police said it is a civil matter as the guy has been trolling us on our business media platforms.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Why am I not surprised that the police have said that!It would be a simple matter if it’s a limited company but,if it’s not a limited company and it is a partnership or you, sole proprietor,then it is potentially harassment. Whether it is or not depend on a variety offactors including whether it was intended to harass you or whether it wasunintentionally harassing you even if it was not meant to do so. Is the personbased in the UK? Do you know who it is? Do you have a Royal mail address?Can we have a bit more background detail please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is a former employee that was dismissed for theft. I am a sole trader. I have his uk address
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
What exactly has he been doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Making fake profiles on Facebook and trip advisor and putting derogatory comments and false reviews
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
If this was about you, the police would have to getinvolved. The reason they are reluctant to get involved is because it is abusiness issue. Although this is a civil matter, it is potentially also acriminal matter and you might want to push the matter with the police. Other than that, the solicitors letter may help you for thesake of a hundred quid or so but if the person simply decides to ignore theletter (because they think they are immune or something like that) thenbringing an action for defamation is not going to be quick or cheap. You wouldnot get a solicitor to deal with it on a no win no fee basis and there is nolegal aid available for it. However, what you could do is apply to court for aninjunction to compel him to stop. Then, if he doesn’t stop, you can refer thematter to the police and the police will have to arrest him. It depends on whether you feel like doing it yourself orwhether you want to instruct solicitors. If he decides to instruct solicitorshimself to defend the action, it could easily cost five grand in solicitorscosts if you were to lose. However, if you were to win, you would normally getthose costs awarded against him, for solicitors at the solicitors rate or ifyou are dealing with it personally at £18 per hour. The injunction would be for him to cease and desistmentioning you or your business on social media or the media or anywhere elseand from contacting you either directly or doing any of this through a thirdparty. You would need some evidence of what he has been doing andyou warn him that if he doesn’t cease and desist immediately and remove theseposts, he will be on the thick end of an injunction application to the court. We can guide you through the process on here if you want topost more questions. The court fee is about 255 quid the last time I looked. If you want the solicitors letter, any local firm will do itfor you but you might want to shop around to see if you can get one that willdo it for a nominal sum. It might just do the job but if not, at least you knowthat you can make the application for an injunction yourself and save a wholeshed load of money. Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this? Please do not forget to use the rating service to rate myanswer positively so that I get credit from my time today. You may think thethread closes after rating, but it does not. It stays open and we can stillexchange emails if anything needs clarifying. Kind regards