UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

INVESTIGATION MEETING/DISCIPLINARY/PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC

Customer Question
FAILURE TO MAKE REASONABLE...
INVESTIGATION MEETING/DISCIPLINARY/PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC FAILURE TO MAKE REASONABLE ADJUSTMENTS MENTAL HEALTH
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: SUFFERING FROM WORK RELATED STRESS / DEPRESSION
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: WHEN I MADE AN IRRATIONAL DECISION DISPLAYING AN INAPPROPRIATE POSTER AT WORK
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: IS THIS UK LAW
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
4/14/2016
Solicitor: Stuart J, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Can you explain your situation in detail please? Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry problems accessing siteI have been experiencing problems at work with stress /depression getting promised renumeration started feb 2014 had to raise formal grievance mentioning that it was causing stress to eventually get written T & C in Aug 2014 and back pay.
in 2015 new system work introduced with online inductions, fraught with teething problems, verbally abused by foreman in front of colleagues and supplier. Increasing demand for inductions outside normal permitted hours increased stress resuting in going to doctors july 2015 for medication / fluotenine and cognitive behavioural therapy from a physciatrist. In Nov 2015 just shortly before I took all of my holiday entitlement at the end of the year I attended an occupational health doctor who advised that work may be resuting in stress and advised a stress risk assessment was carried out. I then returned to work in the new year and found my desk had been moved without any explaination, and was immediately pressurised to carry out re-inductions at the start of the year. on 8th may was coerced into carrying out additional induction work - e mai sent on Saturday - operatives already on route having travelled a long way to get to site. Complained to management that my stress levels were increasing . On 9th March 2016 I was extremely stressed and made a poor decision by displaying an inappropriate safety poster. Manger then informed me this had been photographed and put on social media. I had a panic attack and left work but had to call physciatric crisis team as I was having negative thoughts. I went to see doctor who gave me a sick note for 1 week. I also wrote a letter of apology for my actions and tried to explain that I was not thinking rationally due to depression.
on 17th march 2016 on the precise day of completing 30yrs continuos service of employment, a letter was written informing me that I had been suspended pending an investigation which may lead to dismissal for gross misconduct. I am due to attend investigatory meeting on 19th April 2016 and have requested that I can electronically record the meeting due to difficulties in memory and note taking - this was refused.Am I fully culpable for my actions or does company have to accept some of the blame can you please advise me on how to proceed
Thank you. Please explain a little more about the poster issue. Do you think the co is trying to get rid of you? Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was getting stressed out at people continually disrupting my work to ask where the face fitting of respirable protective equipment was taking place.
I decided to make a poster to display information. The face fitting process involves putting on the r. p. mask, and then a hood over the head, a bitter substance is then applied through the hood to test whether you have an air tight seal so as to protect you when working with respirable crystalline silica dust.The poster depicted a person wearing hood (KK Klan) with the message come and join us and protect yourself from R.C.S. dust. This was subsequently photographed by someone? and put on social media where it was picked up on by corporate communications. I am not in any way a racist and with hindsight in the clear light of day/ thinking I realise the gravity of this action. I did write an open letter of apology to my colleagues and informed them that it may have been due to the effects of stress and depression, I also informed my manager that they could put the letter of apology on social media to try and atone for my actions
I regularly go out of my way to give a lift to a colleague ( Asian ) 160 miles when I am visiting Glasgow at the weekend, and also arrange to collect him from Glasgow and take him back to Newcastle on a Sunday night.
Similarly I invited an operative (Ghanian ) to attend the monthly Safety Action Group Meetings.It is possible the company think that I am now a liability as cannot carry out as much work as I used to due to the effects depression.
The construction contract I am working on is due to finish in Nov 2016, it may be they are looking at the opportunity to get rid of me so as not to have to pay out redundancy money for 30yrs service. I honestly don't know my cognitive thinking/reasoning isn't very good - tend always look at worst scenario due to depression.
I should also mention that this is not the first time I have been off work with depression - back in 1999 due to a series of personal /family events and some work related I was off work and taking medication.I may use the telephone service option to discuss this further if that is okay - when is the best time to callKind regards,
Philip
Good afternoon. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you.What exactly would you like to know about this?Did you go to court and just get the judgement and the judgement was to pay this small amount every month or did you go to court to enforce the judgement after it was already given?Was the judge not made aware of whether the person had any assets or not?As much background detail as possible is really useful please. Thank you
Good morning. This thread is still open. Can I assist you any further with it?
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer