How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 32980
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-partner accused me of physically abusing and stalking

Customer Question

My ex-partner accused me of physically abusing and stalking her, the police investigated and then she told them she didn't want me to be charged. On this basis the CPS agreed not to charge me. I wanted it to go to court as I could prove that she had been emotionally and psychologically abusing me for years and that she had only made the allegations to get me out of the jointly owned house. She has taken out both a non molestation and occupation order instead based on the false accusations. This is because she knew she would be exposed if we went to court.
If I contest the occupation order, can she then ask the police to continue and charge me and what is the time limit, if any, for her to change her mind?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.In theory she can go back to the police and suggest that you had pressurised her to drop the charges or not proceed against you and now she wants to proceed. It does not of course mean that the police will proceed. They would still need to make a determination as to whether they (or the CPS) considered it had sufficient evidence. I would be happy to answer any questions. Please rate positive. Thanks
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you