How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is this a free service or you gonna t me with fees? ok well

Customer Question

hello - is this a free service or you gonna hit me with fees ?
JA: The IP Attorney's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: ok well i think i can figure it out for myself - just want to know if i can use song titles relating to travel on luggage tags for commercial sale
JA: The IP Attorney will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no i am also in the UK not in the states
JA: Is there anything else important you think the IP Attorney should know?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the IP Attorney about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi re. Use of song titles on luggage tags for commercial sale if I am to go this, which i think I will be hopefully, do I need to put the titles I quotation marks ?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

You would need to obtain a Publishing license if you are going to use the Title from a song that has been recorded or otherwise published. ​If however, you are using a title to music that was published more than 70 years ago, it is possible it would be in a "Public Domain" and that means it is open for common use.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If it is a work that has a copyright in the UK, then the 1956 Copyright law would apply on works published before 1989.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I suggest, you would need to search the titles, see when the work was published and then review if it is in a public domain. Otherwise, you need to get permission from the owner to use the work with or without quotations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Thanking you in advance for a positive rating here to ensure I get credit for my time in providing you true and correct information.