How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34236
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When i first moved to a council house from my parents house

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

If you read your tenancy agreement with the council you will see that in fact you are not actually entitled to retain your tenancy at all

if you own other property.

You certainly will not qualify for the Right to Buy.

Please ask if you need further details


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My tenancy doesnt say anything. Wen i first applied for council housing i didnt have any properties. I got them in the last 5 years. Plus the properties i have are buy to lets, its for investments. My council house is still my main home.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Which council are you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waltham forest. Can you refer me to the law if u can too please.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

If you have read through your Tenancy agreement carefully and there is no exclusion if you acquire a property then you should be fine - I assume that it is not a flexible tenancy.

You may still struggle with the Right to Buy but I have looked at what is available on line

and you MAY be OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thnk u so much Clare.One last thing, the law says the following:You can apply to buy your council home if: it's your only or main home.Its not my only but my main home. Its says 'or' so i am thinking its fine. Whats ur opinion on that?Also at any point of purchasing neither the council or solicitor as whether inown another home. Should i volunteerly say i have another home of buy to let or not, what do you think?Thanks so much again.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

There is case law which could go against you - but provided you have never lived in any of the other houses you may be ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which case law is that clare? Can you refer please?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.