UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My husband has lost personal property (he is an artist).

Customer Question
My husband has lost...

My husband has lost personal property (he is an artist). Situation complicated but does he have a case in CC for loss and also rental storage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Summary of eventsMy husband (Adrian) hired a storage unit at***** Brighton Adrian paid by DD every month for the unit (£88 pm)On 29/12/15 Adrian sent a letter giving one months termination notice to the owner of the unit (RW) which prompted a letter from RW that informed Adrian that the storage unit no longer exists and that the contents had been removed to a.n.o. place – no details given as to new storage address.This was done without contact with Adrian and no notice was given prior RW forcing entry into the unit and removing all Adrian’s personal possessions.RW stated that he had no knowledge of how to contact Adrian which is disputed due to the texts between Adrian and RW and can be verified by the texts set out belowOn 23/1/16 Adrian arranged a van to collect his property from the garage of RW and moved the contents to a new storage unit he had arranged in Lancing.On placing his property into the new storage unit, Adrian noticed that some of his canvas and original art-work paintings were missing.On 27/1/16 Adrian wrote to RW asking about the missing propertyOn 29/2/16 Adrian again wrote to RW asking for a response to his previous letter regarding his property.We have never had a reply to the letters.Texts between Adrian & RWHard copy of text communication between RW and myself (Adrian ) via my mobile telephone number: 07804974314Received: Date: 16/01/2015 Important, please note new bank account details for rent payments.Sort code 60-19-17Account No: 27112276Nat WestPlease make sure you update your records as the old details are now invalid.Please confirm receipt of this text. Thank You. Date: 16/01/2015 Replied: Received new acc. no. today.ThanksAdrian New text to RW: Date: 07.01.16 Hi Russell, I got your letter, can you give me the address of the new storage unit please.AdrianDate: 08.01.16 Hi Russell, before you go on holiday, can you give me the address of where my property is stored so I can arrange a van to collect.AdrianDate: 08.01.16 Hi, yes, it’s***** Lancing bn15 8IN Date: 08.01.16 Hi Adrian, Thank you for your letter. The 18th should be ok. Can you give me a ring on the morning of the 18th and we can arrange a timeDate: 17.01.16 Hi Adrian I am back from hol. now, when would you like to meet??Regards, RussellDate: 17.01.16 Russ, can we meet tomorrow? 12ish is good for me. Let me know where we will meet.AdrianDate: 17.01.16 That will be fineRussellDate: 18.01.16 Do you want to take the items today? I am appointment at 1 that I can cancel easily enough if you need more time.Thanks Adrian. Russ Date: 18.1.16 No, I am unable to take my stuff today but have a van for next Saturday.AdrianDate: 18.01.16 Ok Adrian. See you at 12.Russ

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
3/21/2016
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 2 years ago
James Mather

Good morning. Thank you for the question. I am based in the UK, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you with this today.

I need some more information from you please.

What is the value of the missing items? Are they insured? Do you have photos of them?

How is the value arrived at? You say that Adrian (husband?) Sent a letter giving one month notice to the owner only to be told that everything had been removed but with no address.

However, you then say that Adrian hired a van to collect items from the garage of the owner to take them away. When he took them away from the owners garage, he eventually noticed that some things were missing.

So, is that the crux of the matter, simply that some items have gone missing in this move?

Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello again. Can I assist you any further with this?