How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 10587
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a car online from what seemed like a legitimate

Customer Question

I bought a car online from what seemed like a legitimate company and never received the car. I am based in Ireland and the company is in England. I have contacted my bank to try and retrieve the funds but the funds have already been removed.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: this is the company. I was interested in buying a car from them so they sent me an invoice/contract and i signed it and transferred the money. since then he has refused to answer my calls or emails. i have contacted Action Fraud and the police in the UK.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Here, I would advise you to hire an English solicitor to sue to get your money back. Whilst I have no way of knowing if Prestige motor auctions are genuine or merely a fraudulent front, you should at least seek to get your money back if at all possible. So, whether you get an Irish solicitor to in turn hire an English solicitor or you hire an English solicitor directly, I would suggest that this is how you get your money back. It was correct to contact the police in the UK, but this does not guarantee the return of your money. It may be just that this company has solvency problems and that is why they have not provided the car. In such a circumstance, you should attempt to get to the head of the queue and get your money back before insolvency is declared. The lesson, however, is that in future you don't part with your money before you get the car. Get the car and then part with your money!

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.