UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I need to speak to someone about a false rape allegation, My

Customer Question
Hi I need to speak...
Hi I need to speak to someone about a false rape allegation
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My Wife made a rape allegation and I was bailed, she has since dropped the charges and been contacting me as she wants us to get back together. We have argued a lot about what she did and she told the police she lied, but because I wouldn't get back to her she made a suicide attempt. I got re-arrested for breaking bail and they claimed witness intimidation, she's in a coma so can't tell the otherwise. I am now re-bailed whilst they investigate and they've seized all my devices. What advise would you give me and do I have anything to worry about? We argued a lot but the worst I did was tell her to tell the truth, but she was worried she would get in trouble. I did not once say for her to lie to the police or threaten her to lie for me, I just wanted her to tell the truth. I am really down about all of this
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
3/15/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 1 year ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hello is she likely to recover any time soon?

How has she come to be in a coma?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is likely to recover yes

Ok. Why is she in a coma?

Are they going to have a written record of you communicating with her?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure probably

Is it going to show you inviting her to withdraw her allegation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I did not ask her to withdraw it she contacted me and told me she did which she has and I only asked for to tell the truth because I didn't do anything. Most of the messages are us arguing about our relationship and her asking to meet me or get back with me. At no point did I ask her to withdraw only to tell the truth.

I don't think they could charge you with witness intimidation.

There are probably Bail Act offences in the fact that you were contacting her even though it is her fault because she is unstable and dangerous for everybody around her. Nevertheless, you are almost certainly on bail with conditions of non contact and responding would be a breach.

If they do charge you with witness intimidation then plead not guilty. There won't be a jury in christendom that will convict you on this evidence.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I get my devices back from the police because they have my work things and children's things as well and I've had to buy a new phone and computer? Also all I have on the computer is evidence I stored about my Wife such as messages and screenshots. I am worried as this will form part of my defence if it goes further?

Not until they have finished the investigation.

You will be able to get access to any information that undermines her account or assists your defence.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get that access as everything on there undermines her account?

This is really for your solicitor to sort out not you.

They have to disclose anything that undermines or assists when you submit your defence statement but that isn't something you can do yourself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. Based on what I have told you do you think this will go to court? What would the CPS make of it all?

It probably is going to go to court. That is why the rape conviction rate is low. If they are going to prosecute lots of false allegations they will not get convictions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You really think it would still go to court even after she admitted lying? I thought CPS has to believe it has a good chance. I would be so worried if I have to go to court....

Yes, I do.

CPS charge rubbish all the time. That is why the conviction rate is low.

they have just changed their policy to allow them to investigate rather than accepting any nonsense but you would never notice much difference.

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister