UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Alex - could you help with a potential legal claim against

Customer Question
Hi Alex - could you...
Hi Alex - could you help with a potential legal claim against Paddy Power? It is for a quite substantial sum of money. Basically I had asked to be self-restricted and have evidence supporting this but it was never adhered to. Fast forward several years until recently and I have lost ca. £100k. I really am in a difficult circumstance and I am finding them very slow to respond to me but were very quick to take my money.
Thanks,
Seth
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
3/13/2016
Solicitor: Alice H, Solicitor/Partner replied 1 year ago
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Why did you lose money on the PP site?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I lost gambling on Live Dealer Blackjack and Roulette.I had identified myself as a problem gambler previously, however it would appear that my request for a self-exclusion was not recorded by Paddy Power. Consequently, I was able to run up significant deposits with no one even checking my background from their so-called Responsible Gaming team. On a call recently they said they take problem gaming very seriously and I have shown evidence of when I have notified them of this problem in 2013. Is that clear?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, are you still there?

Yes. Did you seek help? GA or other organisations?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to GA meetings and seeking counseling. However, this all really happened only in the last 10-12 day period.Extract of most recent email below.Dear *****,Following up on this situation further, another important point of concern I have is that despite depositing over £100k into the sethkun81 Paddy Power account, no Paddy Power representative ever made any direct enquiries to request identification from me or to better understand the source of my funds.Typical protocal I understand involves taking new customer sign-ups through security checks and making sure gamblers are comfortable with their level of spending particularly if they are depositing c. £25k a day. No one from Paddy Power at any point in time since I opened the account ever contacted me regarding my spending on the sethkun81 account.As I had previously indicated to the VIP Manager under the seth3030 account that I had problems with gambling, I do not feel that Paddy Power followed the appropriate policies and procedures for undertaking due diligence checks on its customers and adhering to responsible gaming procedures especially when customers have clearly identified problems with gambling.I understand that there is currently a commissioning of a review of Paddy Power’s AML and SR controls across its
retail estate and its AML controls in its remote business to be undertaken by a third party at its expense. This seems to be a serious issue for Paddy Power, and I do hope that we can reach an amicable solution to this matter.Furthermore, when I had the phone conversation with Ann last Sunday, she identified that if Paddy Power were aware of my problem gambling, then all winning transactions would be voided and all losses refunded to my card.I think this is another material oversight by Paddy Power, and there should have been much more careful scrutiny and monitoring placed on my account, although technically it should not have even been authorised by Paddy Power to be opened in the first place given interactions I had with the VIP Host on the seth3030 account to exclude myself given my problem gaming behavior (as previously documented).Another example of something which I had seen when I went through my correspondence was Paddy Power sending bets to me from other customers who I have no knowledge of. Surely, there must be some higher degree of player data confidentiality needing to be maintained as an email about Sumit's bets is not of any relevance to me.I am looking forward to discussing this with you further. When will you be able to provide an update, or can we discuss further?Regards,
Seth
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Most recent email to Paddy Power below.Dear *****,Following up on this situation further, another important point of concern I have is that despite depositing over £100k into the sethkun81 Paddy Power account, no Paddy Power representative ever made any direct enquiries to request identification from me or to better understand the source of my funds.Typical protocal I understand involves taking new customer sign-ups through security checks and making sure gamblers are comfortable with their level of spending particularly if they are depositing c. £25k a day. No one from Paddy Power at any point in time since I opened the account ever contacted me regarding my spending on the sethkun81 account.As I had previously indicated to the VIP Manager under the seth3030 account that I had problems with gambling, I do not feel that Paddy Power followed the appropriate policies and procedures for undertaking due diligence checks on its customers and adhering to responsible gaming procedures especially when customers have clearly identified problems with gambling.I understand that there is currently a commissioning of a review of Paddy Power’s AML and SR controls across its
retail estate and its AML controls in its remote business to be undertaken by a third party at its expense. This seems to be a serious issue for Paddy Power, and I do hope that we can reach an amicable solution to this matter.Furthermore, when I had the phone conversation with Ann last Sunday, she identified that if Paddy Power were aware of my problem gambling, then all winning transactions would be voided and all losses refunded to my card.I think this is another material oversight by Paddy Power, and there should have been much more careful scrutiny and monitoring placed on my account, although technically it should not have even been authorised by Paddy Power to be opened in the first place given interactions I had with the VIP Host on the seth3030 account to exclude myself given my problem gaming behavior (as previously documented).Another example of something which I had seen when I went through my correspondence was Paddy Power sending bets to me from other customers who I have no knowledge of. Surely, there must be some higher degree of player data confidentiality needing to be maintained as Sumit's bets are not of any relevance to me.I am looking forward to discussing this with you further. When will you be able to provide an update, or can we discuss further?Regards,
Seth

I'm afraid I don't see any grounds for a claim against Paddy Power. You may be right about their safeguards not being correctly applied including AML and SR but this does not automatically give rise to compensation. I can't see any reason why PP would want to settle this matter with you - to do so would pave the way for many others to make claims for refunds when they've lost money. I am going to opt out of this question so you can get a second opinion from another lawyer.

Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer