UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I won a 5 year battle at Trial and my legal costs t

Customer Question
I won a 5 year...
I won a 5 year battle at Trial and my legal costs hit £80K. Case was handed own in Jan 2016 is verybut the Claimant is dragging out a settlement of my costs ordered "On Standard Basis" by Judge. Claimant is unreliable and dishonest. I wish to secure my getting paid in case he moves assets around. Can I get a Freezing Order or can I put a charge on his assets. Do I need to ask the Court to do either of these moves to protect my payout?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 3 days by:
3/13/2016
Solicitor: Alex J., Litigator replied 2 years ago
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator

Hi. Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Has the costs order actually been awarded? Does he own his own home? Kind regards AJ

Thank you for getting back. Mr &. Mrs X (claimants) do own their own home and businesses. My Lawyers prepared our costs but X's will pay "Standard Basis" or ordered by court on Jan 8, 2016. However, X's are dragging their feet and have yet to maker an offer to settle. They want 14 days more having known since Nov19, 2015 that they lost the Trial. I want to place a charge on their property or freeze their assets. Judge declared in Jan 8 order that our costs were very fair. Can you shed light on this please? Rwgards, A S

Hi. Thank you. Was an order of any kind made on the 8th Jan? Do you have a costs hearing or return date? You can enforce a judgment by charging order but you need a judgment to do this. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ