UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My nephew has photographed my mothers credit cards and store…

Customer Question
My nephew has photographed...

My nephew has photographed my mothers credit cards and store cards and in one month has run up debts secretly of approx 4K. He has stolen from his 82 year old grandmother. The boy sadly lives with his father (from whom we are estranged) and he seems to think this "misdemeanour" is "a fuss about nothing". My mother is so upset and yet the boy's father won't go into his sons email and find out what the total amount stolen is, instead just says , "you let me know" ... I could go on, but in short... Before we get the police involved we want to give them a chance to redress this crime... What are the potential punishments that a court may sentence etc

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?

Not yet

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
3/7/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Does he have any previous convictions?

No, but he has pinched money from his grandmothers wallet before, but this is a different level of intent entirely. His grandmother is 82 and has no online profile other than an old email address which she never uses. He has set up (using at least 3 cards) an Amazon account , a pay pal account and presumably a fake email account in her name. We do not know if he has given theses detail s to anyone else either. She is frail and now will have to reset all her utility direct debits, her pension account ... To name a few
He is just about to sit exams, so everyone (other than me) is saying "don't upset him until afterwards" . He is obsessed by money and wants to become an architect
I don't see why the onus is on an 82 year old to track down his every transaction. Surely his father as legal guardian has a responsibity . The father says he could his sons email account ...is that correct ?.. Surely at 14 his father can demand him to divulge the contents?
Hello ?

Isn't the father offering to repay? That is what his comment would imply.