UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Nicola I have a friend who was caught drink driving and we…

Customer Question
Nicola I have a...

Nicola I have a friend who was caught drink driving and we would like to delay the date of his hearing or ask for it to be sooner

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes, he was reported driving drunk by a bar staff who also allegedly followed him, he was found by the police by his car (not in it) and was handcuffed the bar staff and a friend gave a statement

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/2/2016
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate replied 2 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate

why does he want to delay the hearing

Because he was offered the opportunity to go to Japan all expenses paid for 1 week. Not a great reason but I Giles he knows what the outcome of the hearing is going to be

If he can show to the court a good reason then the court will often adjourn these reasons. Buying tickets for a flight after notice of the hearing would not really be considered to be a good reason.

Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hello

If he can show evidence of a pre booked holiday then usually the Magistrates will reschedule a hearing.

The bigger problem is getting hold of them as their admin departments have been cut so badly that they often don’t answer phones.

It is probably going to be too late to write and fax or email can’t be relied upon.
If he is able to attend and explain to the court office then that would probably be effective. He will need to produce proof of the pre booked holiday.

If he has a solicitor then they are better placed to negotiate but drink driving doesn’t always attract legal aid.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

If you are saying that he booked the tickets after he knew of the date then that would not impress though.

No that's what I thought
I just wanted to back myself
Is there any point fighting in court when they have a couple of witnesses not police that evidenced him driving?

You can always put them to proof.

Whether it will succeed or not is another matter.

If these are civilians then they might not come to court. He risks costs rack up but equally if he needs to keep driving it might be worthwhile.

It is always possible to challenge an eye witness account. It depends on the circumstances. If he is found very close the car with no other occupant then that gives rise to an inference and obviously he can only tell the truth.

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister