How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34131
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tina I have been living with my partner 4 years and i have

Customer Question

Hi Tina
I have been living with my partner for nearly 4 years and i have my 14 year old son with us. I gave up a housing association property to move in with him and I have purchased things like worktops, internal doors and have decorated the whole houw. We have split up and he is trying to kick me out. Could you tell me where i stand please
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much have you spent on alterations and improvements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about £1000 but alot of time and effort has gone in to improve his property
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much have the actual alterations (not the redecoration) increased the value of his property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We haven't done any alterations just modernising the property with a new bathroom etc. I have also regularly been supplementing his income as he got himself into debt
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

have you ever paid the mortgage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have contributed to the general bilss and that has sometimes included the mortgage but not specifically. I have also helped him re-do his mortgage and bills etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really do need your help if your there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not happy with the fact ive paid money to get an answer and your not even responding to me
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay - I was called away at short notice

The problem that you face is that since you are not married any claim that you make is made within Property rather than Family law - and Property law is based on purely financial contributions.

In addition there is an assumption that payments that you made were rent for living there

However on the positive side contributions that you made towards the improvement are of the type that increase the value - such as a new bathroom and worktops and doors and under property law that does give you some standing - as does paying the mortgage.

However all this gives you is a possible financial claim on the proceeds of sale - in other words you can force a sale so that he pays you something

You are also entitled to at least two months written notice to leave - maybe three if you need it.

The hard thing to assess is how much you should ask for /are entitled to - given the amount that you have paid and the benefit to the property

probably somewhere between £2000 and £5000 (but you can ask for more!)

The starting point is try try and negotiate with him using Family mediation

Please ask if you need further details