UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My Mum wants to purchase her ground rent but I 't know where…

Customer Question
My Mum wants to purchase...
My Mum wants to purchase her ground rent but I don't know where to start
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
3/1/2016
Solicitor: Alex J., Litigator replied 2 years ago
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How many apartments are in the block of flats? Who currently collects the charges? Is it a management company? Does your mother have a copy of her lease?

It's a 3 bedroom detached house that was bought in 1950 and has been paying chief rent on ever since as for any of the original paperwork I guess it could be with one of the wills that have been rewritten over the years with one of the solicitors that have been used

Hi, Thank you - are there any other houses that form part of an overall freehold estate? Kind regards AJ

To be honest I'm not sure about that but I do believe from some conversations over the years that some people have in fact bought them

Hi, Thank you. The starting point is to contact the freeholder - if your mother knows where she pays the rents to, then this is who you should contact to arrange the sale. Are there any other people in the overall freehold estate who would be interested in making a purchase as well? Kind regards AJ