UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

DVLA has issued a summons in a magistrates court to give a…

Customer Question
DVLA has issued a summons...
DVLA has issued a summons in a magistrates court for failing to give a SORN notice. The defendant lives hundreds of miles away from the court; indeed has has never been anywhere near that place in his life. Does that court have jurisdiction?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
2/21/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Is there any reason you think it may not?

When, 40 years ago, I regularly practiced criminal law, a summons or charge had to succinctly summarise the offence and, in the case of a summons, resulted from an information laid where the offence occurred or the defendant resided. As you will see from the documents and correspondence I will now provide (please let me have your email address) I suspect that numerous prosecutors are resorting to Magistrates Courts with which they have some special relationship to get citizens to pay money to the prosecutor to assuage demands for departmental savings.PS. Answering a question by a question can be very irritating.

OK. I will opt out.

All the best.

Solicitor: Alice H, Solicitor/Partner replied 2 years ago
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Where do they say the offence was committed and which court is dealing with the matter?