UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Can I make a claim of only £600 (it was £800, she only paid…

Customer Question
Can I make a claim...
Can I make a claim of only £600 (it was £800, she only paid £200)I lent to someone and to recover pictures and videos this same person Stole from my phone? I've know been falsely accused of harassment for texting this person asking for my money, my pictures and videos and to leave me alone as we were in a relationship but now I've found out she was "stalking " me and trying to make me brake up my current relationship
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
I have texts were I can prove she admits owing me this money and giving me dates to pay and falsely causing her employer of not paying her, she also lied to me, saying the money way to pay the students accommodation as the student loan was taking longer for her to reach her account as her father was in jail for fraud, altho has father is really in jail I later I found out she did get the money from the students loan but did not tell me, she has made it very clear that she doesn't want to pay me back my money. And she falsely accused me of harassment so I can't go to her job to confirm if it's true her boss is not paying her salary...
I have her texts as proof of telling me she has got my pictures and videos that she took from my phone, I have many many text that proof she was following my steps without my knowledge
I just want some justice as my ECRB to be clear of this false claim, I work with children and this is damaging my future and my cv
2/19/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Is there any reason you think you cannot?

What was the contract?

She said the police told her she will not be forced to pay, I'm a foreign I don't know the law here, she is English , the contract was she will pay me back as soon as her student loan was in her bank account (1 to 3 months ) after I lent her that money, I never went to uni so I don't understand about loan students, I made a transfer from my bank account to her with a specify tittle " loan to.....for rent at uni" she failed uni and is now working full time, I am on my own in this country and I work hard to survive, she has all her family here and help from the government, I have neither
This is now almost 3 years since she agreed to pay me back

Yes, but what was the contract for?

My accent is very strong, hard to understand so I won't call you, thank you anyway.
The contract? I don't think I understand. She asked me for a loan of £800 to pay her rent at uni, and she said she will give it back in 2 to 3 months, we never agreed she will pay me monthly or weekly, she was giving me back the full amount back ad soon as her student loan was in her bank account
Do you think I should verify with the College (university ) about this money? Whether she told me the truth about the student loan being "suspended " after her father criminal conviction?

Does she have any money?

she works full time and earns around £1600 a month as a vet
I did some voluntary work at her work place so I know what the salary is , also she showed me her bank statement once
could I go to a civil court? Will it cost me more than the money I'm owed? Is it worth it ?

Yes, you could sue. There is no reason you cannot. She is liable.

You can issue here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

It will cost just under £50 and you can claim that back.

I would normally suggest sending her a letter warning her of your intention to sue unless she pays but if she makes allegations of harassment then it is probably not a good idea.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

The police told me I can make a civil claim for my money , as she will be contacted by a lawer and not by me.

Yes, that is right.

If she is making allegations of abuse though don't write to her.

I know I won't get in trouble , they told me should have make a civil claim rather than texting her myself
what's the next step? I'm ready to do this now, if you could help me please.

You can issue here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

It will cost just under £50 and you can claim that back

I'm glad I texted her though? Otherwise I wouldn't have the proof of her acknowledging the loan and telling me she will paid, she also wrote about the £200 she gave me as a payment, so she can't say I gave her the money as a gift ( as she told her family)
Many thanks for your help, I will go on the website.
Milena Vega

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.