How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70525
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The council put double yellow lines directly outside my

Customer Question

The council put double yellow lines directly outside my house a few years ago and since then I have been receiving numerous PCNs because there has been no other place to park. To cut a very long story short, I refused to pay the fines and the debt was passed to an enforcement agency, which led to them taking my car. I only managed to get the car back by signing a 'Controlled Goods Agreement'. However, the car registration number which they put on this 'contract' is incorrect. Does this mean that the contract is invalid / void?
Many thanks in advance and Best Regards,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean walking possession?

is this with bailiffs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it used to be called a Walking Possession, but has been recently re-named as Controlled Goods Agreement. Yes, with bailiffs
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Is the description otherwise accurate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The description is accurate, only the registration is incorrect.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

This is the old walking possession agreement and you could argue that this one does not adequately denote the item in question.

However, the practical reality is that could fail. It depends how badly wrong the index number is ***** how distinctive the other description. Also these documents are usually signed by the debtor which is usually fairly fatal.

Also, all that would happen even if you succeeded is that they will return and then there will be more costs racked up. Local council bailiffs do not give up I’m afraid.

I’m very sorry but that is a reality.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand they won't give up. My fault for being stubborn with the Council and burying my head in the sand. I want to sell the car, hence trying to nullify this agreement. I thought it could be classed as void due to the incorrect registration being a false statement (fraudulent misrepresentation) ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, I wouldn't go that far.

A walking possession agreement should specify the item subject to that agreement and with cars an index number is *****

You could challenge it but I wouldn't guarantee success.

You are taking a risk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, how do I formally challenge? Do I write directly to the bailiffs, or a court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You could write to the bailiffs but to stop enforcement action against that vehicle you would have to seek a stay of execution. There probably is a form to cover it but I would just use the usual N244 forms.

Do bear in mind that you are liable for costs if you lose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for the help. It's probably best just to pay the debt off and learn a lesson. Thanks again
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately with council PCNs it probably is.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you, ***** ***** your profile. All the best to you too!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Please remember to rate my answer.