UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

The council put double yellow lines directly outside my

Customer Question
Hi, The council put double yellow...
The council put double yellow lines directly outside my house a few years ago and since then I have been receiving numerous PCNs because there has been no other place to park. To cut a very long story short, I refused to pay the fines and the debt was passed to an enforcement agency, which led to them taking my car. I only managed to get the car back by signing a 'Controlled Goods Agreement'. However, the car registration number which they put on this 'contract' is incorrect. Does this mean that the contract is invalid / void?
Many thanks in advance and Best Regards,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
2/15/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Do you mean walking possession?

is this with bailiffs?

I think it used to be called a Walking Possession, but has been recently re-named as Controlled Goods Agreement. Yes, with bailiffs

Ok. Is the description otherwise accurate?

The description is accurate, only the registration is incorrect.

This is the old walking possession agreement and you could argue that this one does not adequately denote the item in question.

However, the practical reality is that could fail. It depends how badly wrong the index number is ***** how distinctive the other description. Also these documents are usually signed by the debtor which is usually fairly fatal.

Also, all that would happen even if you succeeded is that they will return and then there will be more costs racked up. Local council bailiffs do not give up I’m afraid.

I’m very sorry but that is a reality.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

I understand they won't give up. My fault for being stubborn with the Council and burying my head in the sand. I want to sell the car, hence trying to nullify this agreement. I thought it could be classed as void due to the incorrect registration being a false statement (fraudulent misrepresentation) ?

No, I wouldn't go that far.

A walking possession agreement should specify the item subject to that agreement and with cars an index number is *****

You could challenge it but I wouldn't guarantee success.

You are taking a risk.

Ok, how do I formally challenge? Do I write directly to the bailiffs, or a court?

You could write to the bailiffs but to stop enforcement action against that vehicle you would have to seek a stay of execution. There probably is a form to cover it but I would just use the usual N244 forms.

Do bear in mind that you are liable for costs if you lose.

Ok, thank you for the help. It's probably best just to pay the debt off and learn a lesson. Thanks again

Unfortunately with council PCNs it probably is.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

OK, thank you, ***** ***** your profile. All the best to you too!

You are welcome. Please remember to rate my answer.