Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been accused of assaulting a police officer and I am

Customer Question

I have been accused of assaulting a police officer and I am being fast tracked to magistrates. I have no confidence in the impartiality of the magistrates. Therefore, I would prefer a jury trial. How can I get this and bring this about.
Charge sheet: (1) On 22/01/2016 at WINCHESTER HAMPSHIRE you assaulted Lawrence Day, a community support officer under Part 4 of the Police Reform Act 2002 acting in the execution of his duty. - STATEMENT OF FACTS - LEGISLATION: Contrary to section 46(1) of the Police Reform Act 2002. CCCJS Code: PL02002 ACPO 8.9.6.1 PNLD Code H4166.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You are absolutely right to have no confidence in Magistrates.

However, you cannot have jury trial. Assault upon a police officer is summary only so can only be tried before Magistrates.

Sorry but that is a reality.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo