How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 33008
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner got married to a Thai lady over 30 years ago and

Customer Question

Hi my partner got married to a Thai lady over 30 years ago and she has had no contact in over 30 years. We would like to get married, we've been together 15 years. What would be the process? Would this marriage still be recognised? He has no way of contacting her. Thanks Rebecca
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My partner is British, they only lived together less than a year before she left.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive. If your partner wants to divorce his wife, but don’t know where they are, the court can end the marriage without sending them the divorce petition.

First fill in the divorce petition giving their last known address. The court will let him know if it’s returned unopened.

He will then need to show that he's done everything he can to find them, eg by contacting their:

  • relatives (including any children)
  • friends
  • last known employer
  • bank or building society
  • trade union or professional organisation

If he still can’t find them, fill in the statement to dispense with service of divorce petition.

Return this to your local divorce court.

He’ll have to pay a £50 court fee. The court can then deal with the issue and grant a divorce. I hope this helps. Please rate positive. Thanks

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you