UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have bought a car from a used car sales place 12 days ago.

Customer Question
The car is completley no...
I have bought a car from a used car sales place 12 days ago. The car is completley no good. Had endless amount of repairs that need doing. I have called out my break down cover and they have listed all the problems they could find. They have told me the car is undrivable and unsafe. I have been in constant contact with the car sales owner about this he has tried to offer me a like for like replacment but has since started ignoring me. I have repeatedly asked for a refund to which he is refusing. And he'd also refusing to collect the car from my driveway and telling me to drive it to him. Even though I have told him what my break down cover said about the car. I have now missed 3 days in work and my children have missed 3 days in nursery which I will still be charged for. What can i do? Any help would be very appreciated
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/10/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

How old is it and how much did you pay please?

It's 2004 and I paid £600. I know it isn't alot but I am a singke mother of 2 working as hard as I can and a car is a lifeine for us He told me it was in good conditoo etc and drived brilliant. It was the same day I bought it a mechanic told me the clutch was on its way out. This was just the start of the problems

What did he say about the condition of the car at the time of sale?

They said drives well and is a good dinner. I am not very good with cars so i didn't realise but I took it to a garrage the same day to have a look over and he said straight away that the clutch is on its way out as it was juddering.
Good runner not dinner. Sorry auto correct in phone

Thanks for the information

It is always very difficult with a situation like this. The Sale of Goods Act does apply but that is all about reasonableness and generally speaking a car costing only £600 is not expected to be state of the ark.

However, you might reasonably expect it to run for longer than a few hours. It depends what you mean here. If you are saying that it broke down completely then that is one thing. If it is just that you have found some potential faults for the future then that is another. The fact that the clutch doesn’t have long to last is not likely to be claimable unless it has faults now.

That said, the dealer seems to be accepting that there were some faults that do offend as he offered a replacement.

If he refuses to offer such a replacement then you could always sue at the small claims court and take a risk. It might well be that he will throw his hand in.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo