UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Regarding failing to comply with a suspended sentence
,

Customer Question
Regarding failing to comply...

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was sentenced to 180 days suspended sentence for non payment of council tax, ordered to pay £100 pcm which recently i have fallen behind with but have nearly caught up with it. if ordered back to court will i go straight t prison?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
1/30/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

How much have you paid?

hi i have paid over £700 by now and i think about £200 behind, i have made a payment every month but not always the full £100 sometimes £25.00 sometimes £50.00 and sometimes just over £100.00. I have just made a payment yesterday of £300 to help get back on track
sorry i think 900 by now

Have they summonsed you back to court?

not yet that I'm aware of no

They could act against you. Whichever way you look at this, you are in breach of the suspended sentence.

However, I wouldn't expect them to even notice since you are repaying.

Even if they do they are not going to impose it since you have brought the account up to date.

I wouldn't worry about this as long as you keep paying. They have no interest as long as they get their money.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

ok so to clarify if they call me back and i bring the account the account up to date by the time i go back to court i should be ok?

Yes, overall.

It is still a breach but they are not likely to act on it.