UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Just a query, what will happen if a person breach s bail…

Customer Question
Just a query , what...
Just a query , what will happen if a person breach his bail conditions? And what can sureties do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
1/28/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Can you explain your situation a little more?

He spent a year in prison due to assault. I was granted bail while the hearing is on going provided I work
He was granted bail while the hearing is on going provides that he would sign in. The case did not win therefore he had deportation order.
He was then detained in the detention centre. Hers lawyer made an appeal for the same case. While waiting for the decision, he was again granted bail provided he would sign in and have sureties.
Now, he refused to sign in home office at all. His bail conditions said he needs to sign in every week and lives on the same house address known to the court.
As a surety, what will I do? As he totally refused to comply.

Are you a surety or a security?

Have you paid money into court?

I'm one of the surety..
One of the condition of the bail is to have surety for him. If he still refused to sign in, the court is asking for the bond made as a surety.
What can I do with regards ***** *****?

I am sorry but that would mean you lose the money.

Unfortunately that is what being a surety means - you place your funds at risk.

In fairness, Courts do not always confiscate but they could.

You could sue the defendant for the money possibly but I suspect he is a man of straw and so not worth suing.

I am sorry. I have long wondered why people offer sureties as it is even worse than being a guarantor - the most altruistic investment you can make with quite often the most unreliable defendant.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

What would happen to the person involved ? When he breached his bail conditions?

He could be remanded I'm afraid.

They will pick him up in the end and then bring a bail act offence.

Whether he will be readmitted depends. If he is wantonly breaching this condition then he probably will be remanded.