How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70187
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my car seized due to unpaid parking .. i was trying to

Customer Question

hello i had my car seized due to unpaid parking .. i was trying to get some answers regarding whats to be done
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: basicly i woke up in the morning and the car was gone phoned the police , and they told me the car was taken by bailiffs phoned the bailiffs and apparently I had a parking ticket not paid and they just removed my car
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know what action to take once the car has been seized
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you accept receiving a parking fine which you haven't paid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Obviously that does allow them to seize in the end.

Are you asking how to stop them selling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i talked to them , they advise on how to get it back
but my wallet with all my id s and my credit cards were inside , and they would want payement first before letting me get into the car
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

That is unreasonable. They should have let you collect personal effects from the car.

However, the fact remains they are refusing. You could seek an injunction to get access to the wallet but then you would have to pay for that too.

The reality is that, unless you can truthfully meet the criteria for a stat dec, the only way to stop bailiffs is to pay in full. Thereafter you might well have a claim for overcharging but that puts a stop to it.

There are other ways of paying than using your wallet - bank transfers, online banking etc.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from what i know is illegal to keep someone s ID s. I cant go to police and ask to get hold on my wallet with id s ? I have inside money and card so I can pay the bailiffs in full once I can get inside the car ....only problem is they want the money before
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

You could make a report but I would have expected the police to say it is a civil matter. You never know with the police. Sometimes they will become involved in bailiff misconduct and sometimes not.

It is not the ID particularly but they shouldn't be denying you the opportunity to gain access to personal effects. The car is seized for the value of the debt. The personal effects are not.