UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Conveyancing - please can you comment if it is reasonable to…

Customer Question
Hi, Conveyancing - please...
Hi, Conveyancing - please can you comment if it is reasonable to expect a solicitor to include in their questions to the other solicitor/vendor to do with any issues with the neighbors - e.g. "are you selling your house because of any issues with any of your neighbor? I ask this as I would have thought yes given the amount of "neighbor from hell" stories in the media in recent years.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
1/26/2016
Solicitor: Alice H, Solicitor/Partner replied 2 years ago
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

It is standard practice to ask the seller about disputes and complainants involving neighbours and businesses.

thank you Alice, but do you mean above the standard form that they have to sign. What I wanted to know is if it is practice to ask above that. As I asked, something along the lines of "are you selling your house because of any issues with any of your neighbors"" I can't remember the basic form that is used". Thanks

Yes, the questions regarding neighbour disputes is contained in the sellers questionnaire which they have to complete.

If you wish to ask additional question(s) then you can do so and make the additional enquiry of the seller.

Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear, my question is "is it reasonable to expect a solicitor to ask questions specifically (above and beyond those in the sellers questionnaire) if they are selling because of problems with neighbours - eg Anti social behaviour?

The sellers solicitor will not ask those questions of his client - but you can instruct your solicitor to ask the question. It can be added to the questionnaire for the seller to complete.

to clarify, I am not asking of the sellers solicitor I am asking about my solicitor - if it is reasonable to expect my solicitor to ask why they are selling the house and in that if there are any problems with the neighbour. That was the basis of my question. Thanks for your answer.

Your solicitor will not ask that extra question unless you instruct him to do so.

It is not for your solicitor to ask why a house is being sold.

But if you think there is anti-social behaviour problem then you can ask your solicitor to make that enquiry on your behalf.

Just to make it clear - the seller will complete the standard questionnaire. Any extra questions that you need clarified can be asked through your solicitor.

Without your instructions it is not for your solicitor to ask questions of the seller over and above what's contained in the questionnaire.

ok thank you very much.

You're welcome. Please take a moment to rate my answer so that I am paid for my time. Have a good evening. Alice.