How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 32980
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We (4 houses) have a wide opening onto a very narrow street.

Customer Question

We (4 houses) have a wide opening onto a very narrow street. A car owner parks his /her car right opposite this opening,day and night,without removing it for lengthy periods at a time.If no-one else parks then this would be a nuisance but one would still be able to get out. Unfortunately many people use the street to park ( none have garages). Consequently if there are people parked on either side of this car and beyond, it is extremely difficult to get out because the road is so narrow.I have already scratched my car on the house wall on my left hand side in consideration of not scratching this car with a cost of over �400 and have another scratch awaiting attention. I am 78 and own a people carrier,I am not the best driver in the world but am certainly adequate and have driven this car ,since my husband died,without too much trouble until this car arrived. I am now loathe to venture out in my car unless the road is clear on either side of the vehicle.this is restrictive and I am feeling like a prisoner in my own property.I am not the only one to have had problems and although at lest one of the younger men have approached both the police and council ,no-one appears to be able or willing to help.Is there anything that can be done? I thank you in anticipation. P .Collett(Mrs)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive

From what you have written the car parked is causing an obstruction and this can be a matter for the police. I know that other people have contacted the police in the past but if you can not get out of the road then they should be notified and asked to take action. It is set out in - Contrary to regulation 103 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988. Regulation 103 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 creates the offence of unnecessary obstruction.

103. No person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer shall cause or permit the vehicle to stand on a road so as to cause any unnecessary obstruction.


Removal and Disposal of Vehicles Regulations 1986 provide for the removal and disposal of broken down, illegally parked or abandoned vehicles. To get your vehicle towed away in some cases which means the owner will have to pay the recovery costs to get the car back.

If the police do not do anything then I would escalate the matter within the police. I would also contact your local councillors and ask them to exert some pressure on the local council. I am happy to discuss further but please rate positive. Thanks

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

I hope that this answered your question. Can you please now rate positive for me. Thanks

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you