Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I bought a house with my partner 5 years ago. We e ach took

Customer Question

I bought a house with my partner 5 years ago. We e ach took responsibility for 50% of the house. Mine was approx £150k in equity and £100 of mortgage. His was £200k of mortgage and £50k on home improvements. We didn't get a deed of trust. I initially took steps to get one. He didn't seem that bothered. He said he would add £100 of equity from the proceeds of another property sale. This would have balanced our equity/mortgage responsibilities. Now we have separated he immediately told me he could take 50% although hasn't done so yet. I'm starting to feel that he knew this was the case all along and deliberately did not add equity to make the shares balanced. I stand to lose £48,000 as a result of not being able to reclaim my equity. Is it an offence to let someone invest money, knowing that there is an option to take it from them in the case of a sale. Do I have much chance of regaining my equity?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Do you have any independent evidence of those discussions?