How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70525
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently received a call from social services to say

Customer Question

I recently received a call from social services to say they'd had an anonymous report that (a) I was in a bad relationship (b) this had an impact on my daughters wellbeing (c) it also had implications on my childminding work, there is obviously more detail involved and some of that only certain people would know! I have explained the situation to social services and they have dismissed this allegation as malicious, but cannot give me the exact name of who made the complaint. Is there anything I can do legally about this as this was obviously aimed to ruin me by breaking up my relationship, having my daughter taken into care and loose me my job in one foul swoop?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, in short.

Probably social services don't even know who made the report as they encourage anonymous reporting.

Even if they do though they will not tell you I'm afraid as it would discourage others from making reports.

I suppose you could seek an injunction forcing them to disclose but they may well rely on public interest to refuse to give that information and, ultimately, social services have unlimited legal funds to fight things like this and you will not get legal aid.

Even if you could find out who was responsible there would be no point in suing unless they had funds.
I'm afraid it is very difficult to act against accusers in the UK unless they make a series of allegations.

Sorry but I have to give you truthful information.

Can I clarify anything for you?