How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 3671
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am condiering purchasing a property on which a portion of

Customer Question

I am condiering purchasing a property on which a portion of the land has no registered title - the current owners have been resident there for 25 years. Can I use evidence of conveyance etc to apply for title? Which form of tiotle can I apply for?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The Land Registration Act only came into force after 2002. That means that anyone sitting on certain that have never bought or sold, have never had to register their land. You will need find a solicitor that knows how to buy and sell unregistered land and establish in the property - once you have completed the purchase, the registration of the land is compulsory. You will have the following: (i) hopefully documentation showing the history of the property (ii) A full title guarantee from the buyers as they are required to give me statute. If the buyers cannot give full title guarantee your solicitor should be able to advise you. Bare in mind that many newly qualified lawyers have no need for the skill of selling unregistered land, therefore solicitors with this experience are becoming less frequent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No use to me
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, If the sellers have all the paper work showing their purchase of the property and the supporting deeds, you should be able to apply for Title Absolute.