Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

If a doctor has written a medical report using third party

Customer Question

if a doctor has written a medical report using third party evidence on my character with regard to the misused of alcohol, and claims I have a volatile temper, but has never witnessed this, is this hearsay? This has resulted in my shotgun certificate being revoked.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, why do you think it is hearsay and what if it was, would the licence not be issued otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the police firearms dept work on probability. Hearsay because the doctor has name names in the report which claim situations that have not occurred.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For instance, the Grandfather my ex fathering law as told the doctor that the neighbours have heard me shouting and abusing my children un true.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently I misuse drink, untrue, I work in an environment that carries out a rolling programme of drug test for drugs and drink, and if found positive would lose my job. i have worked there for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These have been written in the report. can the GP use this material in a medical report without being able to prove its validity.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, that isn't hearsay. Hearsay would only arise if they were using this evidence in court. He is perfectly free to report what he has heard and that is a consideration for a shotgun licence.

If it is untrue then that is something you can appeal.

Their current criteria though is to revoke licences when they receive the barest suggestion of domestic disputes.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo