UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I've been convicted and currently serving a 15 month

Customer Question
sentance and issued form informing...
I've been convicted and currently serving a 15 month sentance and issued form informing me that I'm "liable for deportation". I am a British citizen with a dual citizenship the other being bulgaria. I have lived in the uk for 15 years, my ties to bulgaria are non-existant. Is the home office telling me they want to deport me, or does this mean something else? What is the best way to proceed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/12/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 1 year ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

If you receive a sentence of more than 12 months now you are automatically liable for deportation.

You can challenge that on human rights grounds although it is fair to say that the chances are never very high.

You are right though. The home office are saying they want to deport you I'm afraid.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a british citizenship. Will they revoke it? I'm biritish, do they not understand i cant go back to bulgaria?

I'm afraid that they very definitely can send you back to Bulgaria as you received a sentence of more than 12 months.

Yes, they could revoke Im afraid.

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister