Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

On the street where we live a man is selling cars from our

Customer Question

On the street where we live a man is selling cars from our street. At any one time he can have up to 6 cars on our road that he is selling. We live on a road in Salisbury where we have permit parking. Others can park in the bays for a maximum of 2 hours, and then have to move, but a loophole means they can move to another bay on the same road, for another 2 hours. He spends his day moving the cars every two hours to avoid getting a ticket. We pay our parking permit and yet have to park way down our road or round the corner as there is no space otherwise. I want to know if he is breaking the law. He lives on this street too, and he has a camper van type vehicle parked outside hi house with a lead fed into which we believe is feeding some sort of electrical facility within the van, and he is using it as some sort of extension to his house. Needless to say we are getting fed up with the situation and I thought it was illegal tto sell cars (as in abusiness) off a public highway/road. Am I right, as the police and the council seem to be reluctant to get involved and we want to know what the hell to do
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Does it have any specific impact on you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not able to park on our street often and have to go round the corner, our road is jampacked when he has his cars on it, he even has staff now, who valet his cars on our street, with hoovers and paraphernalia, etc etc, Recently he had some sort of run in with the police and for a few weeks he was not trading through the week, and the street was much better, more spaces. this happened around October last year, and he is now bringing cars back again with his usual trading, and once more parking has become an issue. I also know he drinks heavily, and I have seen him get out of a car he has moved, and as he walked passed he absolutely stunk of alcohol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then we have the people coming to look at the cars too, especially at the weekend, and so on, it is a real nuisance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have to pay a charge to park on our street as we are so close to the city centre, and that is fine, but here he is with several cars, no permits and running a business and blocking up our parking spaces. I am okay not parking right outside of the house, but I have to park right down the end as does my partner, often, and also many times round the corner, as our area is clogged with his cars
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There is a contravention in running a business from home. However, if the council are not interested then you cannot force them to take action. They are not like the police who can be subject to complaint.

You could complain about their lack of action to a local councillor or your MP.

You could complain to the Council about any noise or other nuisance.

Parking, per se, does not offend though unless he is parking unlawfully.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo