Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I was having a severe headache i could not concentrate in

Customer Question

i was having a severe headache i could not concentrate in driving and i ask my son who has a provisional licence to continue to drive my car to home we stop by police.now we have sermon.
please advise what do we do . we never committed a crime before we are panicking.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. What is the summons for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son was not insured to drive my car?
I gave permission to my son to drive my car?
Not sure at that time my car was comprehensive insurance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son was not insured to drive my car?
Not sure WHY? but at that time my car was and is comprehensive insurance until to day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please note I have made payment of 33pounds via paypal
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid that unless he was insured under the terms of the policy he will have to plead guilty to driving without insurance which carries 6 penalty points, a fine and costs. If you have permitted him to drive without insurance you will also be guilty of a similar offence and be liable to 6 points. However, in your sons case he might be able to avoid points by arguing "special reasons" and citing the emergency that you've mentioned. If the court accepts his argument he will still be guilty of the offence but the court has a discretion not to endorse his licence with points. You might be able to run a similar argument but I think his chances of success are better.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

I should say, for the avoidance of doubt, that insurance is compulsory and driving without insurance is a strict liability offence. In other words unless your son was insured he will not have a defence to this case - driving because of an emergency is not a defence but may be a reason not to endorse points as mentioned above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by Just Answer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
thanks . Could I fill the application and write a letter explaining the circumstances and post it to the court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Yes of course.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer otherwise I am not paid for my work. I am happy to assist any further if you wish. Alice :)