Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

My issue is regarding buying goods and agent signing as a

Customer Question

Customer: my issue is regarding buying goods and agent signing as a proprietor
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i am the sole trader and i allowed my agent to buy goods on my behalf, my agent found some goods that were supposed to be of high quality so i allowed my agent to buy the goods, when he signed the contract he signed as the proprietor, i have since realised the goods were not worth the amount the agent signed for and i no longer want them, now my issue is regarding whether i or my agent are personally liable for the goods
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $45) to post your type of question to UK Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

Can you explain a bit more about the relationship with the Agent and what you had instructed him to do with regards ***** ***** these goods on your behalf?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My agent has agreed to be self-employed and is to be paid commission for any successful sales he makes.And he has a fixed budget pcm to buy goods in order to sell.My agent was short on cash for an upcoming transaction for some rare goods with another company, he called to ask me whether my ltd company would be able to pay the rest of the costs, I agreed seeing a good deal and asked my agent to purchase on my behalf, when signing the contract of purchase, my agent signed as the proprietor, shortly after I realised the goods were not in fact rare or worth the price my agent agreed to pay for, now the other company who was selling those goods is trying to sue my company and my agent on the grounds of breach of contract.My issue here is regarding who would be my company or my agent? And could the fact that my agent signed as the proprietor have any affect on this issue?